A day in your [potential] new life!
You’ll start your day with a mug of coffee or tea and a smile on your face because you get to code another day. You’ll log into Slack, check your Google e-mail and calendar to see what’s on the menu for today. Nothing? Perfect. Time to open up your Zenhub to look for tasks on the current sprint and get coding.
At 10 AM, it’s time for a little break — or you’re just starting now, depending on how you like to organize your day — in the form of our daily dev sync. The whole development team gets together for a huddle on Slack to have a quick sync about what they’ve been doing and are planning to do, as well as ask any questions they may have. After that, it’s back to coding ‘til the sun goes down.
What characterizes you
As a Backend Engineer, these are some things that describe you:
You love helping others…did someone say open-source?
You love sharing knowledge with the rest of your team, building shared tooling for other engineers, giving back to the open-source community, and directly helping customers.
Yes, you read that right. At Ambassify, we also use open-source projects — we encourage you to challenge the status quo!
You love learning new things
Some information about our tech stack, if you’re curious:
You’re not expected to be able to work with all these tools and software immediately. We run our application on a set of Node.js microservices with some NGINX thrown in the mix. They’re backed by a wide array of database technologies like MySQL, Postgres, Neo4j, and Redis. It all runs on Heroku, AWS container solutions, and Cloudflare and gets monitored with tools like Graylog and Grafana. You’ll be pushing your code to our GitHub repositories to have it automatically built and tested with CircleCI, SonarQube, and more.
Some more inside information about Ambassify:
We like to invest in our employees, so if you want to take on an SQL course because you feel like freshening up that knowledge, Ambassify will take care of this! You will also get the opportunity to go to some cool events!
On top of these perks, you’ll also work in a team of senior developers, which means you’ll be able to absorb a lot of employee wisdom!
You love to code
In this role, your main responsibilities will include:
- Being a key stakeholder within a fast-growing space
- Test, squash bugs, document & deploy
- Designing and developing robust and scalable APIs to support the web application
- Collaborating with front-end developers to integrate user-facing elements with server-side logic
- Building reusable code and libraries for future use
- Implementing security and data protection measures to ensure the safety and privacy of our users’ data
What we expect from you
We are looking for candidates who meet the following qualifications:
- Fluent in English, Dutch is a plus
- Demonstrable skills in building cloud applications (GitHub profile, open-source contributions, your own projects, experience in the field, a Bachelor’s degree, …)
- You possess the ability to break down complex problems or substantial features into more manageable components
- Comfortable using or learning to use a terminal and git
- Experience with database technologies such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, … is a plus
- Familiarity with AWS, Heroku and Cloudflare is a plus
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- You have good debugging skills, allowing you to determine the source of issues in unfamiliar code or systems.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
What’s in it for you
- At Ambassify, it does not matter where you work, whether it’s at one of our offices in Beringen or Ghent, in your home office… As long as you get the job done! Something nice to note is that we have an Officenter office, which means you can make use of the different Officenters in Belgium.
- Full-time hours
- Competitive salary
- Pick your equipment. We’ll set you up with the laptop & monitor combo you want, plus any software you need.
- Professional development allowance.
- Group insurance (physical and mental healthcare + retirement plan) by Alan
- An array of fringe benefits to pick and choose from.
- We also offer a cafeteria plan to all our employees
Behind the scenes at Ambassify
At Ambassify, we’re all about making sure everyone feels heard and is excited to start working every morning at 9 am (or 11 am, you know, we have flexible working hours )
It’s essential for us that everyone feels safe, included, and welcome. That’s why we put extra care into organizing team events or days at the office: having that time to create personal bonds works wonders.