If you are looking for an internship that involves big data and allows you to prove your skills on real-world challenges, this internship might be the perfect fit.
We are currently providing internships focused on two different challenges:
1. Transport mode algorithm improvements
Our current transport algorithm detects when an individual is ‘in vehicle’, travelling ‘by bike’ or ‘on foot’. To do so, we evaluate millions of coordinates on a daily basis. Coming from a pure feature engineering model, the current challenge is to improve the algorithm. You can put your knowledge about hidden markov chains or neural networks to the test. On top of that, we have access to the realtime coordinates of De Lijn (bus transport) to help improve detection of bus trips’. By mapping coordinates on railway roads, defining the ‘in train’ transport mode can be defined.
2. Proactive recommendations
Today, multiple metrics about customer loyalty, competitors visited by a brand’s customers or popular hours (to name but a few) are calculated on a continuous basis. Too much information to see the forest for the trees… Your efforts will provide a prescriptive model that provides proactive recommendations on which metrics to evaluate in more detail. Using trend & anomaly detection models you create, you will evaluate & prioritize the metrics that needs our customers’ attention.
What’s on our wish list?
- you have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science or related field
- fluent in python
- fluent in developing with databases (MySQL)
- knowledge of Git and Linux
- you speak fluent Dutch and/or English
- hands-on attitude and comfortable in a fast-moving start-up environment
- experience with data collection and processing is a plus
Experience with any of the following is considered a plus
- experience with (Google) Cloud technology
- geo-spatial data processing
- data engineering technologies (Dataflow, Bigquery…)
We can offer a fun environment (near Ghent), the expertise and support to make you grow together with our company and the trust and freedom to build a career in big data & data engineering / data science.