We are looking for a full-time back-end engineer who can make complex systems understandable, loves to work according to the latest standards and takes pride in delivering high-quality code. At TinkerList, you will work together with the team on projects for international clients in television and entertainment business.
As a back-end software development engineer, you will:
- Develop and design new and improve existing solutions to ensure a stable and robust application, together with your colleagues on the back end
- Write clear, performant and maintainable code according to the team guidelines (that you’ll help refine)
- Document your processes and decisions along the way
- Help define infrastructure architecture to solve complex problems that need highly available, performant and traceable systems
- Research on new technologies and share your insights
- Write test code to validate the implementations
- Provide insights and suggestions on application architecture
- Share development skills and general knowledge of good practices with the other team members in meetings and our TinkerTalks
- You’re not exactly the ‘new kid’ on the back end block, you have already some 2-5 years experience, whether as an employee, freelancer or self-learner
- You have experience working for SaaS platforms or high availability and scalable systems
- You speak PHP as your mother tongue, knowledge of NodeJS, Rust or Python is a plus
- You have experience with Laravel and the only way you know is the Laravel-way
- You are strongly performance-focused in delivering code
- You have experience using different caching solutions to leverage performance of the API
- You know your way around AWS or other similar cloud services like Google Cloud
- Being familiar with these concepts is a big plus:
- Build and maintain an open API to 3rd parties
- Payment processing product integration
- Offline-first support
- Having an overall interest in cyber security will get you some bonus points too
- You don’t like to be alone on the field, but love to pass the ball to your team mates and score together.
- Being fluent in English is a must, strong communication skills are the key to success working in an international and remote team like ours.
- Time zone: At TinkerList, we strongly believe in a healthy work-life balance and conditions. If you work remotely, you should live and work in the range of time zone UTC-04:00 and UTC+03:00 to ensure overlap with the rest of the team.
Important notice: We hire people, not roles.
After reading this job description, if you feel like you don’t have all the necessary prerequisites but that it matches where you are now or what you’d like to grow into in your next position, we still want to encourage you to apply. We are growing at a fast pace and have several positions open in our agile teams.
Not everybody will enter our recruitment process, but all, no matter how underrepresented, should feel free to apply as we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
- A full-time contract
- A competitive salary in line with your experience, skills, and knowledge
- 20 paid holidays, as well as 10 public holidays, paid sick days and parental leave, with a flexible ‘no ask, must tell’ time-off policy
- Flexible work hours and remote working
- Learning opportunities and budget for personal development and growth
- A friendly working environment where your voice is heard and taking ownership is highly valued
- A health insurance program (in Belgium) or a budget for private health insurance in your country of residence when based outside of Belgium
- A yearly team retreat that brings the whole remote team together on a secret – and mostly sunny – location, for a week filled with relaxing & teambuilding activities to strengthen our interpersonal ties.
We’re a high-growth, established scaleup with ambitious plans for the future. This presents big challenges, but also offers great opportunities for growth.
At TinkerList, we work together as an international, close-knit team from all over the world, in a family-like atmosphere.
This role can be either remote or based in Belgium, depending on your location. If you work from Belgium, you’ll be offered a spot at our office in De Hoorn, a creative co-working space in Leuven.
Note: From a legal perspective, applicants outside of Belgium are always hired as self-employed or independent contractors.